The Cal Poly football team’s win over Idaho State on Saturday could land the Mustangs back in the top 25, which is key considering only 16 teams advance to the playoffs.
The Mustangs, out of the top 25 in both major polls last week for the first time since early 2004, likely have to win out to be considered for one of the eight at-large spots and have a big home game looming against No. 2 North Dakota State in two weeks.
There were very few upsets in the top half of The Sports Network’s top 25 on Saturday, although there were plenty of losses by lower-half teams, which should help Cal Poly. A look at the top 25 losses on Saturday:
- No. 6 James Madison (6-2) lost vs. Richmond, 16-17
- No. 15 Hofstra (6-2) lost at Villanova, 31-35
- No. 18 Nicholls State (5-3) lost at Central Arkansas, 42-49 (2OT)
- No. 19 Montana State (5-3) lost at Northern Colorado, 13-16
- No. 20 Youngstown State (5-4) lost at Northern Iowa, 13-14
- No. 23 Norfolk State (6-2) lost vs. Howard, 10-17
- No. 25 The Citadel (5-3) lost at Georgia Southern, 17-21