The good, the bad and the ugly from the Cal Poly football team’s 56-21 victory over Northern Colorado on Saturday:
- QB Jonathan Dally is obviously the right guy for the job. JD had six TDs in the romp, rushing for four and throwing two more out of the improving triple option.
- RB Jono Grayson is starting to get it going after missing the first two games of the season thinking he was going to redshirt. In his third game, JG went over 100 yards for the first time in his career, rushing for 127 yards on 15 carries.
- Cal Poly had 11 different ball carriers Saturday, giving the backups a better feel for the pitch-happy triple option.
- The Mustangs were 8 of 8 in the red zone and tallied 600+ yards for just the third time at the I-AA level.
- While key players like C Stephen Field, RB James Noble and RB Ryan Mole were able to rest their injuries, FB Jon Hall, RB Jaymes Thierry and LB Marty Mohamed were among the Mustangs who left Saturday’s game with injuries. With Mohamed out, Fred Hives had to come on and had a team-high 12 tackles. And while it was a good breakout game for Hives, the Mustangs are looking thin at middle linebacker.
- The botched pitch from Dally to Grayson in the second half did not sit well with head coach Rich Ellerson.
- A bye is finally here but after that it’s four straight games on the road, three of which are out of state.
- All that “good” stuff and all that “bad” stuff came against Northern Colorado. The Bears were "the ugly" and have now lost 13 straight games. They are 0-5 this season and 1-15 since leaving the Great West Football Conference two years ago. Dakota schools beware.