Saturday, September 01, 2007

What a day for I-AA (FCS)

The Cal Poly-Texas State opener hasn’t even started and it’s already been a crazy day in Division I-AA football, now known as the Football Championship Subdivision.
The talk in the Texas State pressbox during pregame warm-ups Saturday afternoon was centered around defending I-AA champion Appalachian State’s unbelievable 34-32 upset of No. 5 Michigan, at Michigan Stadium of all places.
But when the UC Davis score came across on the sports ticker, the talk quickly changed to the Aggies.
While I-AA football took a step forward with App State, it also took one back thanks to UC Davis.
A few hours after the Appalachian State shocker at the Big House in Ann Arbor, I-AA and Great West Football Conference member UC Davis lost to Division II Western Washington, 28-21.
It’ll be interesting to read Michael Mirer’s blog on the UC Davis letdown.
It was UC Davis' first official game as a Division I-AA/FCS member and its first game at brand new Aggie Stadium, a $31 million facility that is the newest collegiate stadium to open in the country.
Maybe they should rename Aggie Stadium the Little House.

No comments: