Sunday, October 29, 2006

San Diego media all over Aztecs

The San Diego press is having a field day with the Cal Poly football team's win over San Diego State on Saturday, a lot like the El Paso media did in 2003 when the Mustangs upset I-A UTEP:

Is it time for Aztecs to take a step back?
North County Times

It has come to this: San Diego State can no longer be considered a serious Division I-A football program.
Anybody for dropping down to Division I-AA so it can compete with the likes of Cal Poly, Sacramento State, Montana and UC Davis? ...

There's new disgrace in town: 'Chuckyball'
San Diego Union-Tribune

... Really, it's almost impossible to fathom. But it would be wrong to call this the worst defeat in SDSU history. Because the Mustangs were better than the Aztecs. And certainly far, far better coached. ...

Gift horse punches Aztecs in the mouth
Daily Aztec

Saturday's game almost left me at a loss for words. I could only think of a few to describe how I felt afterward.
Embarrassed or disappointed. ...


Aztecs kicked while they're down

San Diego Union-Tribune

In assessing the talent gap between his team and Division I-A schools last week, Cal Poly coach Rich Ellerson said he believed the Mustangs had reached a point where they could be competitive against middle-of-the-pack programs from the Mountain West and Western Athletic conferences.
Seems they're pretty good against the bottom feeders, as well. ...


SDSU dropped by I-AA Cal Poly

Daily Aztec

With a game against Division I-AA Cal Poly San Luis Obispo the following weekend, SDSU looked like a team in prime position to put together a winning streak ...

No comments: